Wednesday, November 7, 2007

A bit about myself

So, I suspect I will be posting a few notes about my latest car project, an Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV. The car's model year is 1975, although it: a) was built in october 1974, and b) it was sold in Canada (not in the US.)

This creates a bit of an identity crisis, since there were not 1975 GTVs sold in the US. So every time I look for parts, I have to think " '74 ". Kinda confusing. '

The car itself is in generally good shape. The paint looks OK, with only a bit of rust. The interiors are OK - worn out a bit, but normal for a 34 year old car. The motor seems to run well; however, the transmission needs a bit of work in 1st and 2nd gears (they tend to grind.)

The immediate work focus will be on suspension parts. The suspension is mostly shot: very soft dampers, and most bushings are blown (or at least, very worn.) Driving the car is an exercise in predicting where the car will go, and hope for the best. It's not too bad, but Alfas are meant to turn well.

I mean, the other day, I stopped rather suddenly for a yellow/red light, and the front sump cover was grinding against the pavement. Folks saw sparks and all. Not really an ideal situation for the car (or for me.)

This is something that needs to be addressed soon.

So, the plan is the following:

1. Replace all the ball joints in the steering rack.
2. Replace all joints/bushings in the front suspension
3. Ditto for the rear end.
4. Get new shocks.

I am still not sure what to do about springs. The springs on the car are not stock but I am not really sure how they compare with other offerings. I might have to address this at some point, but for now, I'll leave them as they are.

Hopefully, as I do this, I'll be able to figure out how to post pictures and the such over here. Maybe this will help folks pursuing similar adventures. Who knows. If anything, it will be a good place for me to rant and voice my thoughts. I suspect this will be very therapeutic.

No comments:

Post a Comment